You already know that birth can be intense, now you need a mentor to show you how to walk through the fire.
UNDERSTAND THE BIRTH PROCESS
BUILD A PAIN-COPING MINDSET
CONNECT WITH YOUR PARTNER'S SUPPORT
PREPARE FOR THE UNEXPECTED
Balanced Birth Preparation
Birthing from Within classes are designed to be a place where parents can safely explore, ask questions, try something new, move through the unfamiliar, and tap into the inner resources they already possess for birth.
- Birth as a Rite of Passage
- Building a pain coping mindset
- Stages of Labor: How the birthing parent and their partner can maneuver through each stage
- Hands-on support techniques for birth partners
- Strengthened connection between expecting parents
- The language of Labor Land: protecting the birth space
- Preparing for the Unknown through experiential learning
- Hormones and brain waves in labor
- The inner journey through birth and postpartum
- Collaborative communication with your birth attendant
- Epidural, induction, and cesarean birth: building a solution-focused mindset instead of avoidance and self-judgment
- Fostering self-compassion for the challenges of labor
- Postpartum transitions
Birthing from Within classes are held near 281/Bitters, and cost $265/family. Early Bird pricing is $250 if you pay at least two weeks in advance.
A non-refundable down payment of $100 will secure your space in a Birthing from Within class series. The remaining balance can be paid by cash, check, or through this page any time on or before the first night of class. You may also pay the full fee all at once with registration.
Choose Your Class!
- September 30th - October 16th Mondays and Wednesdays
7:30-9:30 pm (early bird ends 9/16)
- October 28th - November 13th Mondays and Wednesdays 7:30-9:30 pm (early bird ends 10/14)
- December 2nd - December 18th Mondays and Wednesdays 6:30-8:30 pm *please note the time difference* (early bird ends 11/18)
- January 8th - 29th Wednesdays, 6:00-9:00 pm (early bird ends 12/25)
- February 5th - 26th Wednesdays, 6:00-9:00 pm
(early bird ends 1/22)
- March 4th - April 1st Wednesdays, 6:00-9:00 pm
(early bird ends 2/19)
* No class on Wednesday, 3/11
All people should have equal access to childbirth resources. To address disparities in healthcare, groups affected by those disparities including, but not limited to people of color, and those who are impacted by poverty are welcome to a discount on Birthing from Within classes. If you would like an Equity Discount, please reach out to Nikki through this form.
Frequently asked questions.
A: Birthing from Within shares common ground with classes like Lamaze, The Bradley Method, Hypnobirthing, etc. in that it provides practical information to help parents understand the physical process of birth. However BFW is different from other prenatal classes, books, and internet searches in that it prepares parents for birth as a rite of passage.
A rite of passage is about crossing a threshold from your current self to the person you will become – a parent. A rite of passage involves new challenges, new learning, and awakening a part of yourself that has not been discovered yet. This awakening causes a shift in identity as you become a parent.
Embarking on a major life shift requires preparation and support. Taking a class that acknowledges this transformation creates space for parents to explore the emotions, fears, connection, and changes that are present during birth and parenting, alongside learning about practical information. Birthing from Within classes help parents enhance communication and learn to cope together as they navigate the shifting terrain of birth and parenting.
A: Yes, please! Birthing from Within classes are designed for pregnant parents to be accompanied by at least one support person. If there is a class that your partner or co-parent cannot attend, I highly recommend that you bring a supportive friend, family member, or doula to accompany you. (It’s ok to come on your own if no one is available to come along, though.)
A: Any time in the third trimester is ideal. That said, take the class when you have space in your family's schedule. Unless you see it on the class calendar, I don't offer classes on weekends or meet for private classes, so take the class at whatever point in your pregnancy you need to!
A: My average class size is 3-5 couples.
A: No. Birthing from Within classes are not just inclusive of, but highly useful to parents for all kinds of birthing environments and preferences. Parents will gain skills to help with an unmedicated birth in classes, but also learn how to use technology in a way that best suits them, at a time that best suits them.