Thank you for registering for Birthing from Within classes! I'm so excited to get to know your growing family. Here are a few tips to help you prepare for our time together:
Our classes will meet on Wednesdays from 6 - 9 pm for four weeks on Zoom. Please plan to login 5 minutes early for each class so we can start right on time. A Zoom link and more details about the class will be emailed a week or so before the class series begins.
Please gather the following items in preparation for our class:
- Ice cubes. If you don't have an ice maker in your fridge, please make some ice cubes the old fashioned way so that you'll have them for class. This is how we practice pain coping.
- A towel or washcloth to catch drips from the ice cubes.
- A long scarf, or a thin blanket/sheet. You'll be learning about the rebozo in class, and you'll want to have something similar available. The ones I use in class are 9 ft. long and 1.5 ft. wide, for reference. Want to get your own rebozo? I recommend this vendor from Guatemala.
- Paper and art materials. Do you have big paper? Bring that. Do you just have printer paper? That's fine too. You'll need pastels (my first choice) or markers, crayons, or colored pencils. Even a pen can work if you don't have any art materials on hand.
- Please make sure you have a notebook, pen, water, snacks, and comfy clothes for class.
- Optional: There are times when we'll be moving around and using different positions, so you may also like having a birth ball or yoga mat to help you feel more comfortable.
A little about me...
I have been teaching Birthing from Within classes to San Antonio families since 2012. I've helped hundreds of families prepare for the journey of birth and parenting. Each one of them has taught me as much as I have taught them. I am a Certified Birthing from Within Mentor and Doula, as well as an author. I serve as an Facilitator for the Birthing from Within® program, and I'm one of the directors of Birthing from Within International. I also have three beautiful children of my own!
Each class series is as unique as the parents who attend our classes, and will be tailored to the needs of the individuals in class. Together we'll be delving into the physical, emotional, and spiritual transformation that takes place when one crosses the threshold into parenthood. New learning about yourself and birth are part of Birthing from Within classes. Our time together will help you understand birth in a whole new way.
I recommend saving firstname.lastname@example.org to your e-mail contacts, which is the address that all class e-mails will be sent from. Be advised that sometimes the service I use to send class updates gets kicked out to the "promotions" folder for parents with gmail accounts. You will want to check that folder a week before class starts, and after each class during our series.
Let me know if you have any questions!
Nikki Shaheed CCE(BFW) CD(DONA)